Thursday, July 29, 2010

Forgive me for being Creative!

Everyone knows it's wrong to steal.  I do.  But apparently, I crossed that fine line between stealing and being creative.  My "Hardley Walking" design was by intent clearly a whimsical nod to the famous Harley-Davidson logo.  I was careful to change the dimensions, and of course the wording.  Personally, I thought it was cute.  
But, the trademark people at Harley-Davidson thought the design was close enough that they deamed it a threat. Initially, I got a stinging email that basically spelled out the copywrite laws and then asked that I stop selling "counterfeit" products.  Counterfeit!?

Surely people don't think that a company like Harley-Davidson could come up with something that silly! And then sell it on Etsy for so little.
Rest assured there is a person in every large company that keeps people from doing just that.  And you know what..that's fine with me.  The law is the law.
Sorry Harley..consider my hand slapped.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is really cute - a shame Harley had to be such 'babies' about it all....

    I didn't know you had a blog until today! I will 'link you' on mine.

    ReplyDelete